By Nicholas D Spencer
Man lubricates typically with oil. Nature lubricates completely with water. natural water is a terrible lubricant, however the addition of proteins, specially glycoproteins, can regulate surfaces to lead them to way more lubricating at sluggish speeds. realizing how nature does this, and the actual constructions concerned, isn't just very important for the certainty of illnesses similar to osteoarthritis, but additionally crucial for the profitable software of articulating implants, akin to hips and knees, in addition to the advance of scientific units akin to catheters and make contact with lenses. a bunch of vital purposes of water-based lubrication are already in position within the own care and nutrition industries, and extra commercial functions of water-based lubrication can have an important optimistic influence at the environment.
This e-book is the 1st of its type. It brings jointly the newest learn in organic and biomimetic, water-based lubrication and is authored via the world's specialists within the field.
- Tribology of usual Articular Joints (Rowena Crockett)
- Sticky and Slippery: Interfacial Forces of Mucin and Mucus Gels (Seunghwan Lee)
- Aqueous Lubrication and foodstuff Emulsions (Jason R Stokes)
- Aqueous Lubrication in Cosmetics (Gustavo S Luengo, Anthony Galliano and Claude Dubief)
- Hydrogel Friction and Lubrication (Jian Liu and Jian Ping Gong)
- Aqueous Lubrication with Polymer Brushes (Suzanne Giasson and Nicholas D Spencer)
- Water-Like Lubrication of tough Contacts through Polyhydric Alcohols (Jean Michel Martin and Maria Isabel De Barros-Bouchet)
- Aqueous Lubrication of Ceramics (Mitjan Kalin)
Readership: educational and business tribologists, fabrics scientists, biomechanics pros, and physicists and chemists with an curiosity in tribology.
Read or Download Aqueous Lubrication:Natural and Biomimetic Approaches: 3 (IISc Research Monographs Series) PDF
Similar textiles & polymers books
Concise Encyclopedia of Composite fabrics attracts its fabric from the award-winning Encyclopedia of fabrics: technological know-how and expertise, and contains updates and revisions no longer to be had within the unique set. This custom-made number of articles offers a convenient reference for fabrics scientists and engineers with an curiosity in composite fabrics made up of polymers, metals, ceramics, carbon, biocomposites, nanocomposites, wooden, cement, fibers, and so on.
It is a self-contained selection of information and data on functions of fluoropolymers elements for corrosion keep an eye on in chemical processing industries. as a result of their more desirable homes, fluoropolymers were swiftly changing steel alloys for holding the purity of processing streams within the chemical processing, plastics, nutrition, pharmaceutical, semiconductor, and pulp and paper industries.
Excessive functionality polymeric fabrics are discovering large purposes in numerous fields. they're categorised less than diverse different types as in response to their features, mode of synthesis, and so forth. One type of polymers categorized in accordance with their features is form- reminiscence polymers. form- reminiscence polymers (SMPs) are the polymers which own the power to memorize an enduring form which can considerably fluctuate from their preliminary, transitority form.
Engineering layout groups occasionally have desire of a fabric that won't exist as the mixture of required homes is hard to accomplish. One answer is to advance a brand new fabric having the necessary set of homes wanted within the software. in the course of the author's 40-year profession he has effectively labored on many such difficulties.
- Handbook of Polymer Synthesis: Second Edition (Plastics Engineering)
- Polymer Thermodynamics: Liquid Polymer-Containing Mixtures (Advances in Polymer Science)
- Handbook of Polymer Applications in Medicine and Medical Devices (Plastics Design Library)
- Advanced Textile Testing Techniques
- Chemical Resistance of Engineering Thermoplastics (Plastics Design Library)
Additional resources for Aqueous Lubrication:Natural and Biomimetic Approaches: 3 (IISc Research Monographs Series)
Aqueous Lubrication:Natural and Biomimetic Approaches: 3 (IISc Research Monographs Series) by Nicholas D Spencer