By Ian Miller
Read or Download A Modern History of the Stomach: Gastric Illness, Medicine and British Society, 1800–1950: Volume 2 (Studies for the Society for the Social History of Medicine) PDF
Best history & philosophy on science & nature books
All through historical past, program instead of abstraction has been the renowned driver in arithmetic. From the compass and sextant to partial differential equations, mathematical advances have been spurred by means of the need for greater navigation instruments, weaponry, and building tools. however the non secular upheaval in Victorian England and the fledgling usa opened the best way for the rediscovery of natural arithmetic, a convention rooted in historic Greece.
The assumption of the earth as a vessel in area got here of age in an period formed by way of area shuttle and the chilly conflict. Höhler’s examine brings jointly expertise, technological know-how and ecology to discover the best way this latter-day ark was once invoked by way of politicians, environmentalists, cultural historians, writers of technology fiction etc throughout 3 a long time.
While the paper moved into the South within the Nineteen Thirties, it faced a area in the middle of an fiscal and environmental obstacle. Entrenched poverty, stunted hard work markets, mammoth stretches of cutover lands, and critical soil erosion prevailed around the southern states. by means of the center of the 20th century, even if, pine bushes had develop into the region’s number 1 funds crop, and the South ruled nationwide and overseas construction of pulp and paper in keeping with the in depth cultivation of trees.
This can be an introductory survey to the philosophy of technology compatible for rookies and nonspecialists. Its element of departure is the query: why should still we think what technological know-how tells us in regards to the international? during this try and justify the claims of technology the publication treats such themes as remark info, affirmation of theories, and the reason of phenomena.
- Shaping Science and Industry: A History of Australia's Council for Scientific and Industrial Research 1926-49
- String Figures as Mathematics?: An Anthropological Approach to String Figure-making in Oral Tradition Societies (Studies in History and Philosophy of Science)
- The Bumpy Road: Max Planck from Radiation Theory to the Quantum (1896-1906) (SpringerBriefs in History of Science and Technology)
- The Natural Philosophy of Margaret Cavendish: Reason and Fancy during the Scientific Revolution (The Johns Hopkins University Studies in Historical and Political Science)
- Never at Rest: A Biography of Isaac Newton
Extra info for A Modern History of the Stomach: Gastric Illness, Medicine and British Society, 1800–1950: Volume 2 (Studies for the Society for the Social History of Medicine)
A Modern History of the Stomach: Gastric Illness, Medicine and British Society, 1800–1950: Volume 2 (Studies for the Society for the Social History of Medicine) by Ian Miller