By Bernard Lightman
- Provides a single-volume evaluate of present scholarship within the historical past of technology edited via one of many top figures within the field
- Features 40 essays through best foreign students supplying an outline of the foremost debates and advancements within the heritage of science
- Reflects the shift in the direction of deeper ancient contextualization in the field
- Helps converse and combine views from the heritage of technological know-how with different parts of ancient inquiry
- Includes dialogue of non-Western topics that are built-in in the course of the chapters
- Divided into 4 sections in accordance with key analytic different types that mirror new methods within the field
Read Online or Download A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History) PDF
Best history & philosophy on science & nature books
All through heritage, software instead of abstraction has been the well-liked motive force in arithmetic. From the compass and sextant to partial differential equations, mathematical advances have been spurred through the will for greater navigation instruments, weaponry, and building tools. however the spiritual upheaval in Victorian England and the fledgling usa opened the best way for the rediscovery of natural arithmetic, a practice rooted in historical Greece.
The assumption of the earth as a vessel in house got here of age in an period formed by means of area commute and the chilly battle. Höhler’s learn brings jointly expertise, technological know-how and ecology to discover the best way this latter-day ark was once invoked through politicians, environmentalists, cultural historians, writers of technology fiction etc throughout 3 many years.
While the paper moved into the South within the Nineteen Thirties, it faced a zone in the middle of an financial and environmental difficulty. Entrenched poverty, stunted hard work markets, huge stretches of cutover lands, and critical soil erosion prevailed around the southern states. by way of the center of the 20 th century, despite the fact that, pine timber had turn into the region’s number 1 money crop, and the South ruled nationwide and foreign construction of pulp and paper in line with the in depth cultivation of bushes.
This can be an introductory survey to the philosophy of technology compatible for newbies and nonspecialists. Its aspect of departure is the query: why may still we think what technological know-how tells us concerning the global? during this try and justify the claims of technological know-how the e-book treats such issues as statement info, affirmation of theories, and the reason of phenomena.
- Distinguished Figures in Descriptive Geometry and Its Applications for Mechanism Science: From the Middle Ages to the 17th Century (History of Mechanism and Machine Science)
- Doctors beyond Borders: The Transnational Migration of Physicians in the Twentieth Century
- Risk, Technology, and Moral Emotions (Routledge Studies in Ethics and Moral Theory)
- Elise Boulding: A Pioneer in Peace Research, Peacemaking, Feminism, Future Studies and the Family: From a Quaker Perspective (Pioneers in Arts, Humanities, Science, Engineering, Practice)
- Laws and Symmetry (Clarendon Paperbacks)
- Memorial Tributes Volume 17
Extra info for A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History)
A Companion to the History of Science (Wiley Blackwell Companions to World History) by Bernard Lightman